10 Steps to Take at the Scene of a Car Accident
When you are behind the wheel on Louisiana’s roadways, you should always drive safely and free from distraction. However, you cannot control how those around you drive. If you are involved in a car accident, then you should take the following steps to protect yourself and the passengers in your vehicle:
1. Photograph/video the accident scene
2. Gather all names and contact information of all drivers and passengers
3. Write down the insurance information of all parties involved in the car accident, and if possible, try and take a picture of the insurance card
4. Record the license plate information of all vehicles involved in the auto accident
5. Call the Police
6. Record the name, badge number, and department of the responding police officer
7. Thoroughly explain to the police officer how the accident occurred
8. Write down the exact location of the auto accident
9. Gather all contact information of any witnesses
10. Write down any statements that the other driver might have said: For example, “Sorry, I was distracted”; “I should not have been texting”; “I can’t believe I ran that stop sign”
If you have been injured in a car accident in Louisiana, then let one of our car accident attorneys help you get the compensation that you deserve. You do not have to fight the insurance companies alone. Often times, if an insurance company realizes that you are not represented by an attorney, they will try to “lowball” your claim.
You can reach one of our experienced car accident lawyers at our New Orleans number at 504-500-1108, Baton Rouge number at 225-612-0800, Lafayette number at 337-409-0003, or you can contact us online by clicking here. You can also send us an email with questions about your claim at firstname.lastname@example.org.